With the student card, you can prove that you are a student everywhere in Finland. This gives you the right to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS) and entitles you to hundreds of student discounts all around the country, including student restaurants, trains and long-distance buses as well as cultural institutions and shops.
All ArtSU student cards are ordered from the student-owned company Frank. In addition to the card itself, Frank also offers a student benefits service, which negotiates and offers great discounts tailored to university, polytechnic, vocational school and high school students, e.g. from laptops to insurances and from clothes to cell phone subscriptions. With Frank’s benefits, you can really save a lot each year!
The student card is available both as a traditional plastic card and a digital card (an app on your phone), and with or without a payment feature. For an added fee, you also have the option of ordering an international ISIC Student Card, which gives you student benefits all around the globe. The prices of different card options vary according to the features (some are also completely free), and up-to-date information on the available card options and their prices can always be found at www.frank.fi/en/studentcard.
Postgraduate students have a separate card, which cannot be used for train and bus discounts or FSHS health care services. In addition, the price for subsidized student meals differs from the price for basic degree students. Up-to-date information on the card options available to postgraduate students and their prices can be found at www.frank.fi/en/studentcard-postgraduate.
How to order the student card?
It is recommendable to order a student card upon arrival in Finland, when the university registration and the Student Union membership are completed. The cards are ordered and paid for on Frank’s website (www.frank.fi), where you can also find more info on different card types and discounts you can get with your student card.
- Before starting the ordering process, you will need the following:
- A digital passport-style photograph of yourself. The photo needs to be in jpeg format, square shaped and in colour.
- A functioning payment method, if your card type is not free of charge. All common payment cards (credit and debit) are accepted, Finnish online bank codes unfortunately not.
- For ordering a card with payment feature, you will need a Finnish personal identity code. If you don’t have a Finnish personal identity code, student cards with payment feature can only be ordered by appointment at Danske Bank. For ordering a card without payment feature, you will need your student number (if you don’t know your student number, please contact your academy’s student affairs or ArtSU’s office for help).
- In order to get the student card, you must be registered as attending at the University and have paid your Student Union membership fee.
- To order the student card, follow the instructions and fill in the application form at www.frank.fi/en/studentcard. The instructions are also in English.
- The digital student card will be available immediately upon ordering (there can be a small delay in the beginning of August). The plastic student card will be delivered to your home address by mail within 2-3 weeks from ordering it.
- The plastic card is not valid before it has a term sticker on it, so pick up your sticker from ArtSU’s office.
If you have questions about the student card, you can try to find the answer on Frank’s FAQ page. You are of course also welcome to contact ArtSU’s office (tel. +358 40 710 4298, email@example.com) or Frank’s customer service (firstname.lastname@example.org).
New term stickers are handed out at ArtSU’s office during its opening hours from 1 August onwards. You can find the office hours on the page Contact Information. At the beginning of the Autumn term, there are also separate service points for handing out term stickers in KuvA and TeaK. Also their opening hours can be found on the page Contact Information.
New students can order a student card only after the University has entered all the necessary information in their student register, which usually happens around 10 August. Please note also, that the plastic student card is not valid before it has a term sticker on it, so remember to pick up your sticker from ArtSU’s office!
Old student cards
Old student cards ordered from Lyyra or Antenna before 2013 can still be used in many places, but we cannot guarantee they will still be accepted everywhere. You are not obligated to order a new card and can still get a term sticker on your old card if you are registered as attending. However, if you want to have access to all possible student benefits, we recommend that you order a new and more versatile card from Frank.