What will the University of the Arts Student Union look like during its ten year anniversary in 2023? We are a brave community of art students and a national level culture advocates. Our core values are; Art, Science and Education, Ecological Sustainability, Critical Thinking and Sense of Community and Equality.
We are looking for a visual look for the ArtSU’s jubilee year. The competition is open for all students studying art, culture or design. The look will be implemented for our annual celebration and its communications and depending on the design also used in our advocacy posts for culture during Finnish General Elections.
The winner of the competition will have a one-time reward of 600 euros for the annual celebration's visual design. The second place will have honorable mentions and a reward of 150 euros.
Rules of the competition:
1. Timeline and the right to participate to the competition
Competition starts 13th of December 2022 and ends at 3pm on 18th of January 2023. The participants have to have a current student-status and have done studies in Finnish University. Participation is possible for individuals or groups.
2. Sending the proposal for the competition
Proposals for the competition can be sent the latest on 3pm of the 18th of January 2023
Proposals need to be in pdf-form and sent to an email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Name the headline of the pdf attachments as TaiYo10v_YourFirstName_YourLastName. Let us know in the email the name or names of the participants, email address and a phone number for us to contact and where are you studying so we can know you are a student.
All propositions for the competitions are reviewed anonymously. Don’t write any names or contact info in the pdf-documents themselves to make sure of the anonymity of the proposal.
3. The content for the proposal
The proposal needs to have clear plans for the following:
- Visual illustration / illustrations for the annual celebration. Illustrations or visual images are used on the annual celebrations’ social media posts and printed posters for example. Proposal can be poster-size, but the form of the visual image can be other as well.
- Possible logo of the 10th anniversary. It can also be the same as the illustration.
- The main colors of the year of the 10th anniversary
- The applicability of the visual illustrations on different communication platforms has to be a part of the plan.
- The plans and ideas where and how the anniversary year will show. Are there any ArtSU student products (bags, hats etc.) or in what ways the celebrational year will be shown on our campuses?
The graphic design look for the 10th year anniversary of the University of the Arts Student Union will be used in posters and social media posts in Instagram, Facebook and in web site posts. Also the same look will be used, depending on the proposal, on the advocacy posts for the culture by ArtSU during the Finnish General Elections.
4. Choosing the winner
Winner will be chosen by a panel consisting of members of the ArtSU board and workers. All proposals are seen and handled anonymously by the panel. Panel members can’t participate in the competition.
5. Commission for the winner
The ArtSU’s annual celebration and the 10th year look will be based on the winning proposal. The winner of the competition will have a one-time reward of 600 euros. The second place will have honorable mentions and a reward of 150 euros.
The panel will evaluate the following:
- Proposal represents today's art students
- ArtSU’s values can be found or perceived from the proposition
- We also value brave takes, creativity and taking a stand
- How the proposal can be modified to diverse platforms in the anniversary’s communications, different possible products and also advocacy posts.
The University of the Arts Student Union was established in 2013 when the student unions of the Academy of Fine Arts, Sibelius Academy and Theatre Academy merged together. Now when we are soon 10 years old we wish to remember our past, but for most our eyes look for the future; what will art students look like in this beginning of the ArtSU’s new second century?
Our core values are; Art, Science and Education, Ecological Sustainability, Critical Thinking and Sense of Community and Equality. ArtSU is national-wide the most impacting art student community. It advocates for art students and their rights and possibilities in University and at the national level. More about ArtSU and our values can be found in here: ArtSUs-strategy-2022–2026.pdf (taiyo.fi).
Secretary General / art- and culture policy specialist
Lauri Grünthal, Secretary General:
taiyo-paasihteeri (at) uniarts.fi
Art- and culture policy specialist
suvi.vendelin (at) uniarts.fi