The University of the Arts Student Union (ArtSU) functions on behalf of its members and serves them in many different ways. ArtSU protects the interests and rights of students at the University of the Arts Helsinki and, together with other student unions, more widely in society and strives to strengthen its members’ sense of community by, for example, organising various events. ArtSU supports the artistic activities of its members by, for example, providing performance and exhibition space in the Space for Free Arts, temporary work through the Artist Directory and various grants for community activities. By paying ArtSU’s membership fee, students can also access FSHS’s health services and Pykälä ry’s legal aid service, among other things. There is more detailed information on all these services on this website.
ArtSU also has facilities at each academy where students can, for example, read newspapers and magazines, make coffee or just hang out. The Student Union room in the Sibelius Academy’s N building (Nervanderinkatu 13, 4th floor) also includes ArtSU’s office. You can visit the office, for example, to take care of your student card matters, buy ArtSU’s sales articles, rent a PA system and ask for guidance on anything related to student life. Secretary General Ville Sinnemäki and Secretary for Member Services and Interest Advocacy Hannu Jaakkola work at the office.
Students get many kinds of discounts by showing their student card. For example, HSL, VR and Matkahuolto usually give undergraduate students a 40–50% discount of their tickets. There are also many student restaurants in the Helsinki area that offer inexpensive lunch; more information on student meals can be found here.
In addition to the essential travel and lunch discounts, many shops, services and cultural institutions offer different discounts to students. Many of these student benefits and offers can be found on the website of the student utility service Frank. There are a few examples below of student discounts, particularly for cultural services, but more benefits and discounts are continuously being updated on the Frank website, so be sure to check out the latest offers!
- All Uniarts Helsinki’s own productions are free of charge for the university’s students (with the exception of some Siba concerts): students are entitled to a free ticket to all Sibelius Academy events and two free tickets to all Theatre Academy events. Academy of Fine Arts exhibitions are always free of charge, and also Siba examinations are open and free for everyone.
- The Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Finnish National Opera all give student discounts. HPO’s and FRSO’s rehearsals are free of charge for Siba students.
- Most theatres sell tickets with student discounts.
- Most art museums give student discounts. At least Ateneum, Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art, Sinebrychoff Art Museum and Helsinki Art Museum also have certain times when you can visit the museum free of charge.
- Finnkino movie theatres give a student discount of 10-30 % depending on the screening.
- Sheet music shop Ostinato, which was originally founded by art students, gives a 10 % student discount to all Uniarts students.
- The Finnish Hostel Association offers a discount on the hostel card and other student benefits at its member hostels.
- Franks webpage has hundreds of other student discounts from travel tickets, magazines, clothes, electronics, hotels and restaurants. Go check it out!