University of the Arts Student Union (ArtSU) advocate for the interests of its members and serve them in many different ways. ArtSu supervises the interests of students and rights at Uniarts Helsinki and together with other student unions in society at large, and aims to strengthen the sense of community among its members, for example by organising various events. ArtSU supports the artistic activities of its members by, for example, offering performance and exhibition space in the Space for Free Arts as well as various grants for community activities. Through ArtSU's membership fee, students also have access to, for example: Pykälä ry's legal help service. More detailed information about the service can be found from the link below. Please note that the FSHS fee will be paid separately from 2021 onwards.
TaiYo also has at every academy own spaces, which students can visit and read magazines, make coffee or just hang out at. The Student Union Room in the Sibelius Academy N building (Nervanderinkatu 13, 4th floor) also houses ArtSU's office. You can visit the office to take care of your student card, buy ArtSU's sales products, rent PA-systems and ask for advice on everything related to student life. The office is staffed by Secretary General Lauri Grünthal and Secretary of Membership Services and Communications Ester Sundström.
Students get many kinds of discounts by showing their student card. For example, HSL, VR and Matkahuolto usually give undergraduate students a 40–50% discount of their tickets. There are also many student restaurants in the Helsinki area that offer inexpensive lunch; more information on student meals can be found here.
In addition to the essential travel and lunch discounts, many shops, services and cultural institutions offer different discounts to students. Many of these student benefits and offers can be found on the website of the student utility service Frank. There are a few examples below of student discounts, particularly for cultural services, but more benefits and discounts are continuously being updated on the Frank website, so be sure to check out the latest offers!
- All Uniarts Helsinki’s own productions are free of charge for the university’s students (with the exception of some Siba concerts): students are entitled to a free ticket to all Sibelius Academy events and two free tickets to all Theatre Academy events. Academy of Fine Arts exhibitions are always free of charge, and also Siba examinations are open and free for everyone.
- The Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Finnish National Opera all give student discounts. HPO’s and FRSO’s rehearsals are free of charge for Siba students.
- Most theatres sell tickets with student discounts.
- Most art museums give student discounts. At least Ateneum, Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art, Sinebrychoff Art Museum and Helsinki Art Museum also have certain times when you can visit the museum free of charge.
- Finnkino movie theatres give a student discount of 10-30 % depending on the screening.
- Sheet music shop Ostinato, which was originally founded by art students, gives a 10 % student discount to all Uniarts students.
- The Finnish Hostel Association offers a discount on the hostel card and other student benefits at its member hostels.
- Franks webpage has hundreds of other student discounts from travel tickets, magazines, clothes, electronics, hotels and restaurants. Go check it out!